Cellulose and Renewable Materials Division
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences
The Program Chair is appointed by the Division Chair-Elect after consulting with the Chair and the Executive Committee. The Program Chair serves as Program Chair Designate for two years followed by two years as Program Chair. The transition from Program Chair Designate to Program Chair begins with the development for the Spring National Meeting in the final quarter of the second year as Designate and assumes full responsibility January 1. The Program Chair is a voting member of the Executive Committee. The Program Chair is responsible for the development of technical programs and such programs shall promote interest in the fields of activities of this Division, and shall provide opportunity for individual contributions to the field. The Program Chair performs the following functions:
- The Program Chair shall be responsible for arranging the technical programs for the upcoming National ACS meeting and other Division sponsored meetings in compliance with the current edition of the American Chemical Society National Meetings Handbook for Technical Program Planners. These duties include:
- Communication with symposium chairs; make sure they are aware of deadlines, that they advertise their symposia by distributing fliers at previous meetings, on the Division website, and in other appropriate places. Make sure they are making good progress in lining up speakers and funding, getting abstracts in on time, and organizing their half-day sessions (sequence of speakers, breaks, appointment of session chairs).
- Decide on and communicate to all interested parties (ACS, the symposium chairs, the chair) the sequence of symposia sessions, the number of rooms required, and any special requirements.
- Work with other divisions and other societies as appropriate to identify co-sponsorship opportunities. Execute with appropriate approvals CO-sponsorship agreements with divisions and other societies that co-sponsor CELL symposia, or whose symposia CELL co-sponsors.
- Provide information as requested to ACS through the on-line abstract submission system.
- Work closely with the Payen Award nominators and symposium organizers, the Awards Chair, and the Chair to coordinate Payen technical programming with the annual Spring Awards banquet (that is centered around the Payen award).
- Organize at least one poster session at each ACS national meeting in which CELL participates, to provide opportunity to our membership to present and/or view the work of our members in a highly interactive environment.
- The Program Chair in consultation with the Chair shall appoint and chair a Program Committee, which shall consist of up to ten (10) other members. The Chair-Elect is an ex-officio member of the Program Committee. The duties of the Program Committee shall be to arrange technical programs for future National ACS meetings and other Division sponsored meetings in compliance with the current edition of the American Chemical Society National Meetings Handbook for Technical Program Planners.
- The Program Chair shall chair an annual open program meeting at the Spring National ACS meeting. This meeting is normally held in conjunction with the Division Business Meeting. This meeting provides an opportunity for all Division members to contribute ideas for future programming and to volunteer to organize future programs.
Vice Program Chair
School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
Michigan Technological University
Term: Spring 2022 – Spring 2024
The Vice Program Chair is appointed by the Division Chair-Elect after consulting with the Chair and the Executive Committee. The Vice Program Chair shall serve for a period of two years thereafter assuming the role of Program Chair. The Vice Program Chair is responsible for:
- The development of any Fall technical programs and such programs shall promote interest in the fields of activities of this Division, and shall provide opportunity for individual contributions to the field.
- The development of the Spring National Meeting during the second year as Designate.
The Awards Chair is appointed by the Division Chair, following consultation with the Chair Elect and the Executive Committee, for a term of office of three years. The Awards Chair is responsible for administering the Division awards program. The Awards Chair's responsibilities are:
- Administration of the Anselme Payen Award
- Administration of the Graduate Student Award
- Administration of the CELL Division Fellow Award
- Provide Program Chairs with the names of award winners to be included in the annual meeting technical program.
- Provide the Events and Publicity Chairs with the names of CELL Division Award winners and a short summary of their accomplishments for events planning and publicity.
Noppadon (Tik) Sathitsuksanoh
Department of Chemical Engineering
University of Louisville
Term: Jan. 1, 2021 – Dec. 31, 2024
The Membership Chair is appointed by the Division Chair, following consultation with the Chair and the Executive Committee, for a term of office of three years. The Membership Chair is responsible for participating, improving, and assisting the Division’s growth and membership sustainability. The Membership Chair has responsibility for the following tasks:
- Receive and, within the confidentiality required for personal information, assist Executive Committee members communicate with membership
- Fibril Angle
- Notifications and e-balloting for elections and/or amendment of bylaws
- Membership surveys
- General communications
- Generate membership trends from the e-roster data
- Invite non-member speakers/organizers at the Division meetings to join CELL Division.
- Provide Divisional information for ACS, non-ACS members, universities, institutions and industrial research centers interested in the chemistry and technology of chemical science and technology of renewable materials and biopolymers to solicit membership.
- Work closely with Publicity Chair to create and disseminate Divisional and ACS information for membership.
Term: Spring 2022 – Spring 2024
The Events Chair is appointed for a term of three years by the Division Chair, following consultation with the Chair and the Executive Committee. The Events Chair is responsible for organizing or overseeing major social events held for the Division. Responsibilities include:
- Organization of the Divisional Dinner and Awards Banquet
- In collaboration with the Anselme Payen Symposium Organizers:
- Establish a budget from the funds raised for the Symposium
- Determine a suitable location for the Divisional Dinner
- Determine the menu for the Divisional Dinner
- Arrange any audio visual requirements, buses or photographers that are required or desired for the dinner
- In consultation with the Awards Chair and the Chair, construct and have printed the Divisional Dinner Program
- In consultation with the Publicity Chair and Program Chair advertise the Divisional Dinner
- Forward all banquet invoices to the Treasurer for payment
- Award Plaques and Certificates
- In consultation with the Awards Chair, the Chair, and the Secretary:
- Have engraved the medal and shadow box for the Anselme Payen Awardee
- Ensure sufficient medals are held in stock for future awards
- Have engraved plaques for:
- The CELL Divisional Fellow
- The Eastman 1st and 2nd Place Graduate Student Award
- Past Officers of the Executive Committee
- Print and frame certificates for Springer 1st and 2nd Place Graduate Poster Award
- In consultation with the Treasurer, ensure checks are prepared for the Awards Ceremony
- AP Award
- Eastman 1st and 2nd Place Graduate Student Awards
- Publicize Awardees at the National Meeting
- In collaboration with the Awards Chair, the Publicity Chair and the Program Chair prepare:
- Foam boards for the AP Awardee and CELL Fellow
- A PowerPoint presentation advertising Awardees, social events of the meeting and the open business meeting for circulation by the Program Chair to Symposium Organizers
- Other non-technical events
- Lead effort for any social and/or networking events for the benefit of CELL members and in accordance with the Chair, Executive Committee and budgetary considerations.
Term: Jan. 1, 2017 – Dec. 31, 2024
The Publicity Chair is responsible for publicizing Division-related news, events, activities, and awards through the Division's web page, biannual newsletter, or any other appropriate means available. These duties include maintaining the Division's web page and serving as the primary editor for the Fibril Angle newsletter. The Publicity Chair is appointed by the Division Chair for a 3 year term.
The specific responsibilities of the Publicity Chair include:
- Serving as the webmaster for the Division's website at https://acscell.org/ and keeping the site up-to-date
- Posting of Division-related events, activities, awards, or any other newsworthy items on the website
- Collecting and editing content for the Division's newsletter, the Fibril Angle, to be published at least twice a year
- Electronically distributing new editions of the Fibril Angle to the Division membership by email and through the website. The first Fibril Angle edition for the year should ideally be published at least a month before the ACS spring national meeting. A second edition should ideally be published before the abstract submission deadline for the ACS spring national meeting of the following year.
- Making the presentation abstracts for Division-hosted talks at the ACS spring national meeting available to the Division membership through the website prior to the meeting
- Maintaining a file of presentation abstracts from Division-hosted talks at past ACS national meetings and making it available to the Division membership through the website
- Supporting the Awards Chair in publicizing awards given by the Division
- Supporting the Events Chair in publicizing events hosted by the Division